Monday, October 11, 2010

Little Worlds

I teach two Saturday morning art classes every weekend. The first class ranges from 2-3 years old. The second class is about 4-5/6. This past weekend, I was pretty proud of my second class. They made Little Worlds:


They started by tracing a circular paint palette as their Earth. Then, they took that same pencil and designed their own lands and boundaries. After that, they traced on top of their pencil etchings with a black marker. Next, they did the oceans. I explained to them the reason why the coasts were lighter and the further out the water gets darker. They got it and the outcome was pleasing to my eyes! After the ocean was done, we went onto the green lands. Here, the rules did not apply. They created their own shades and painted however the way they wanted to. I did, however, stress the fact that we didn't want perfectly straight lands, so I asked them to make wavy brush-strokes - and they did. ;-]

And lastly, my favorite, we painted the black universe and once it was semi-dry, we used glittery paint to represent all the magnificent stars!

So, how did they do?!

0 comments: